Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Burn Baby Burn


I got out of work early the Friday before Labor Day weekend last year. My usual custom when I get out of work early is to hop on the R/W train from City Hall and take it 2 stops to Prince Street - deep in the heart of SoHo. But instead of walking downtown on Broadway, I walked uptown on Broadway, made a right turn onto Bond Street and found myself in front of Number 9. As in the fragrance company Bond No. 9. I'll admit, it was the 50% off all Creed fragrances sign displayed prominently in the window that brought me into the store. However, after smelling the Bond wares, I quickly realized that I could never again wear "ordinary" perfume. Instantly, I was transformed into a Bond girl. Instantly, I had a new addiction to hide from my husband. Instantly, I vowed to tell only a select few people what fragrance I was wearing!

I'd never smelled scents like these before. I'd never seen bottles like these before. I quickly plucked down my American Express card and snatched up 2 bottles. I scurried home from Bond in an attempt to get in the door before my husband. I hid the 2 new boxes in my closet, safe from his peering eyes. But 2 days later, we were back again, buying a bottle of Nuits de Noho for my sister. And then in November, I discovered the candles.

I've never been a candle person. I've been invited to so many of those "Candle Parties" given by some friend who is eager for all of us to buy overpriced candles, holders, sconces, and display pieces so that she can get a a big discount at the end of the night. I can't stand the smell of those candle stores in the mall. But at Bond...much like their fragrances, even the candles were different. They burn FOREVER. They are made in the matching scents to their incredible perfumes. And the consistency of the candle wax...it melts on the skin acting like a solid perfume. I told my husband that it was 2 products in 1, thus cutting the price by 50% (he humors this logic at times). Granted, $78 for a candle seems a little ridiculous in hindsight, but every time it burns, our apartment smells SO good, and I'm telling you, it's worth every penny.


(image taken from www.lusciouscargo.com - candle featured is Chinatown)

No comments: